Mixed Bean Chilli
If you're feeling the need for comfort food, this mixed bean chilli is it! It's also a great one-pot meal that works just as well in a slow-cooker as it does on the stove. Plus beans contain lignans, which can help balance out estrogen levels.
- 400 g Canned Black Beans
- 400 g Canned Red Kidney Beans
- 400 g Canned Haricot or Butter Bean
- 400 g Canned Chopped Tomatoes or Passata
- 150 g Canned or Frozen Sweetcorn (optional)
- 1 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Large Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened Cocoa Powder or Cacao
- 2-4 tsp Chilli Powder (to personal taste)
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- Sliced Avocado & Sour Cream to Garnish (optional)
- Chop the onion and peppers into bite sized chunks.
- In a large saucepan, gently heat the olive oil. Add the diced onion and peppers and fry until softened.
- Add the beans, tomatoes/passata and sweetcorn to the pan, along with the herbs, spices and cocoa/cacao.
- Mix well and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Optional: Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream and slices of avocado
I personally find this recipe much better the next day once the flavours have had chance to absorb. If you are on my 28 Day Hormone Reboot Detox, try to use cacao instead of cocoa and omit the sour cream. During week 3 you may also need to omit the sweetcorn and avocado depending on your excluded food groups.